Friday, September 26, 2008

IOWA HOMECOMING 2008



You have not experienced a parade until you have seen the Iowa homecoming parade. Homecoming comes but once a year and UI lives it up. Katherine says it is like "Pleasantville" before the color appeared. Christy said the entire town comes to watch. I would add that if they were not watching the parade, then they were in it.

Everyone from Ms. Wheelchair Iowa, to Homecomming Queen 1996 to Homecoming King 1976 to a huge dairy cow...you get the point.

I'm having trouble uploading all of my pictures, but rest assured, I will post many of them (the parade did last over 1.75 hours after all.)

Following the parade, I did a uniquely Iowa City thing-I got a grilled cheese sandwich from a street vendor. Friends, there is no better way to eat a grilled cheese sandwich! It was delicious! I always walk by the stand in the ped mall, but have yet to stop. Both of the other women I was with had never stopped either and so tonight was the night. I'm just thankful I learned about this secret now rather than two years from now. The cart is called "Marco's," which is also a taxi company in town. Interesting business diversification- grilled cheese stand and taxi services. Awesome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome, but were there shriners? That is my lithmus test for a good parade...

JuliePoet said...

You look relaxed.