Saturday, September 20, 2008

Harbingers of Autumn

As the sun takes a more diminutive stance in the southern sky and Fall creeps in through the night, everything here knows Summer is moving south for the winter. I think about the Fall every morning, watching kids pass my apartment on their way to school, some walking, some riding, always though wearing long pants and hoodies.

Butternut squashes, pumpkins and Indian corn made their first appearance at the market today. The fields are producing their last harvests.

Although, I don't intend for this blog to be a best of NPR blog, I did hear the following story this morning about an Iowan author, Marilynne Robinson. She described the Iowa aesthetic as modest and optimistic. How beautiful is that? Fall is a nice time of the year to see this phenomenon. We know that it will get chilly subsequently downright freezing over the next months, but everyone is squeezing out the last few drops of daylight, and everyone knows that summer will come again...next year.

No comments: