Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Night Writes

This weekend is dedicated to a psych paper. I will concede that at times grad school is so much easier than teaching. But then there are papers which require a mental agility I have not mustered in years. I don't mind writing. I like it actually. But wow, it has been a while!

The assignment I'm working on involves examining the validity of the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking and examining how others have used it correctly or incorrectly and its strengths and limitations. I then have to propose a way measure the "construct" (as we say) of creative thinking. It is not a bad assignment and it has turned out to be easier than I thought it would. In completing this project I've learned about a fascinating set of references called the Mental Measurements Yearbook. I only wish it had an autographs page...

Actually, it contains reviews of published tests. Independent reviewers write reviews of tests and it gets published. Even more interesting to me are the tests that do not have independent reviews written about them. For instance the Paxis, or most of the state standardized tests. Essentially the publishers of such tests don't release them for review. You can read into that what ever you want.

So that is what I'm doing tonight, enjoying some Friday Night Writes!

No comments: