Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bacon to Blog About

Last night was a tough night for me. I had drinks and appetizers with other grad students after work. That wasn't the tough part, it was nice and I enjoyed their company. However, it made me miss my friends in Denver. Later that evening I went to Target to run errands and for some reason, that is when the pity party crashed my solitude. Every person I saw there, just made me sad. This is in no way a reflection of the actual people, it is only my sense of loneliness.

So after last night, I was excited to start a new day. Ashley a fellow transplant/ grad. student/ office-mate/ classmate/ co-worker decided to meet me at the Farmer's Market. She is a newbie to the FM I was very excited to show her around. I can't tell you the street names in my neighborhood, but I can aptly get you around the Farmer's Market.

We had a blast scoping the veggies, the people, the flowers. We split purchases and encouraged each other to buy stuff we probably would not otherwise. I bought a kohlrabi and Asian pears, she bought squash and garlic. I bought bacon from Lois, she bought pork loins from Lois. Lois could quite possibly be my favorite farmer at the market although "I all I really have room to grow is meat," she said. She was a delight to talk to and do business with. Actually, everyone I talk to is always so knowledgeable and proud to sell their produce.



Above, the most amazing bacon from Lois. And who knew kohlrabi (and its leaves) is so delicious? Below are some "Bittersweet" berries that I also bought to decorate a Fall wreath I am making.




1 comment:

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

whenever one blogs about bacon, you know i will approve :)

it looks good just on the counter there!

glad to hear things are going well, miss you!