Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet the Learning Curve

I just pray I don't ride the learning curve off a cliff. The past two days have been nothing but humbling. The kind of humbling when you have broken your arm and you feel absolutely ridiculous doing things like buttoning a shirt, sharpening a pencil or washing your hair. It is possible, but awkward.

Important, but frustrating things were learned today; things like how to power on the computer in the computer lab, how to "release" my printing job, how to buy a bus pass on-line (this took 15 minutes and after I was told it was "really easy.") I've given up on acronyms. Several times today, I felt plain slow. The worst was trying to find a room in which I had a meeting. I was ten minutes late, not because I was delayed, just because I simply couldn't find my way though the building. Mind you, I am pretty good at spacial relations, I can visualize and remember geography well, navigation is a strong suit. But I have met my match in the building I frequent most.

Built in the early 70's it was designed to be "riot proof" with zig-zagging hallways, offices offset from main corridors, doglegged bathrooms, random doors and disorienting decor. As an aspiring architect in middle school, I designed floor plans for houses for fun. My favorites were the the most complex, the ones that had nooks and crannies for hiding, the ones that seemed palatial, simply because they had extra hallways that served no purpose. Perhaps the architect of this building took a few lessons from the Karoline School of Architecture. The difference between my designs and the design of the building I am in is that I WAS IN 8TH GRADE when I intentionally created poor floor plans. The main goal of the architect was to crush my spirit and exploit my weakness in the one thing I thought I was good at. At times the interior almost inspires a riotous anger. Immediately I flashed back to my middle school days, panicked to get from one end of the school to the other only to be held up by a jammed locker! I shake my fist at jammed lockers and riot proof buildings everywhere.

I will rise up and I will overcome.

2 comments:

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

To make you feel some kinship, I, too was 10 minutes late for the class I am taking this semester, because the prof said that it was in another building, which it wasn't...I am yet to uncover whether this was intentional.
You will overcome!

stay-at-homework said...

Are you serious - RIOT PROOF? Were there really that many riots in Iowa in the 70s? Just remember how much fun those crazy weird houses were in 8th grade - we SOO wanted to live in them. And now you will!