Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The First Days of School

I know I am such a dork. Here is my first day of (PhD) school picture. This semester I have a full course load of nine credits, which translates to three classes. The cool thing is that I'm pretty excited about all of them!

Granted today is only day two of a long long way to go, but I really love what I am doing right now. Being back on a campus is exciting and taking classes with people who are interested in the same things I'm interested in is affirming. I'm not crazy for liking this stuff.

Someone today asked if I was experiencing any culture shock. I explained that I am quite familiar with the state and that I kind of knew what I was getting myself into. I don't know that I've experienced culture shock other than people seem really friendly here, a lot more so than I was expecting. What is requiring the most adjusting is just the structure of my work. For the past six year's I've been in classrooms, with highly structured routines, schedules and bells reminding me of that. Now, I don't have that structure. I can eat a leisurely lunch, I can enjoy working at the coffee shop during the day, not just on the weekends when I'm grading papers. Simple changes like this require some changes in mindset- just because I'm not feeling busy or overwhelmed at any give time doesn't mean I'm not doing work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karoline! It's Becca! I love your dorkly picture, and am happy that you are taking to life in Iowa like the proverbial crow in a cornfield. It became fall here yesterday. Congratulations on getting out of town before hte DNC, it was ridiculous on many levels.

!