"If there be a Golden Rule let it be this: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."
-William Morris
I love this quote. I'm trying dearly to live by it right now. This is the perfect time for me to evaluate what I truly find useful/ beautiful. If it is not, I send it on its way. This is usually easy... sheets that I no longer use, sweaters I never really wear anymore, candles I probably won't burn. But then there are the harder things. Sentimental things. Clothes that I wish I would wear more. School supplies. I am having a really hard time letting go of school supplies; Rulers, pens, hi-lighters, scissors. It's not like I don't already have plenty of these, it is just that the teacher in me KNOWS somewhere there is a student who needs them. It is the "Be Prepared" rule of teaching. I'm prepared, I have them. Its is an innate teacher behavior, nesting of sorts. You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher.

No comments:
Post a Comment