Sunday, August 29, 2010

One week down

I'm liking this academic year.

1. Although it is completely premature and unwarranted, I was "promoted" to the window seat in the office. This coveted real estate, has been occupied by the giants of the graduate program. It is where you sit to write your dissertation, it is where younger grad students seek the wisdom of sages, it is where those in their last year glance out the window, pondering the sky, the traffic, the snow, the eagles, all while beefing up their CV and searching for jobs. I don't belong in this seat, but it is where I am.

2. I'm taking less of a course-load and I'm not feeling guilty. Granted, I'm sitting in on one class (and doing all the work for it) without receiving credit for it. I'm still busy, I still have a lot to learn, but classes seem manageable and for the most part, they accentuate my strengths, not exploit my weaknesses.

3. My classes are really interesting! Of particular interest, is a course in legal issues in the field... How to avoid law suits. The professor is convinced the most efficient way to get hired or to receive a promotion once hired is to take this course. She might be right.

No comments: