Saturday, August 7, 2010

Laundry Revolution

This summer, I've undergone a laundry revolution. It all happened one morning when the drier broke in my apartment. I was left with the option of either taking the wet clothes to a laundromat, trying to air dry it in my apartment, or line-drying it out back. Being a beautiful and breezy sunny day, I opted for the later. Those of you who have the fortune of a clothes line know just what a joy sun dried clothes can be. I love the crisp freshness of fresh-air dried clothes. Somehow, when I wear line dried clothes, I actually feel like I am wearing the sunshine! It is cheesy, but true. Besides, line drying clothes saves money and electricity; the only investment is a set of clothespins. I have yet to use the drier all summer long!

I've also taken to using homemade detergent. I bought some homemade detergent at the farmer's market at the beginning of the summer. Loved it-- so did my mom. And now, I've made my first batch of my own detergent. I haven't tested my recipe yet, but I am a bit more enthused about the next load of laundry than usual! Making your own detergent is surprisingly easy, affordable and gratifying. Plus, it doesn't contain as may caustic chemicals as commercial brands.

Here are a few recipes if you are so inclined to make your own. Here are a few more.

Happy Laundering!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I will be trying this! Thanks for sharing!