Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Perspective

Lately, I've been studying a lot of trees. You know, the whole metaphor about the forest and the trees. Graduate school has forced me to examine the trees-- it forced me to run my fingers along the bark, feel every jagged edge, notice every vein on every leaf, and monitor growth with every season. The trees forced me to realize how small I am.

I've noticed life in these trees, and the livelihoods that are supported by this forest. I've seen graduate students like myself climbing trees, or counting rings. We know these trees well, or we think we do.

But the forest is what I long for right now. I long for the the big picture. I long for connection with others, not just the fellow tree dwellers. I need that perspective. How do I reconnect with that perspective? How do I walk away from these trees, turn one hundred and eighty degrees and confidently look at the forest? I'm not sure right now. But maybe just being aware is a good start.

No comments: