Sunday, August 14, 2011

Home

I'm all moved in for the most part. There may be a box or two I stuffed in the attic and several boxes of labeled "stuff" and "old" and "extra" that are hidden in closets, but I will get to those in due time. Unlike previous moves, I didn't devote enough attention to lightening my load from the last apartment to this apartment. Usually, I'm pretty good at parting with stuff I no longer find "beautiful or useful." This time as I unpack I have to ask myself if it is beautiful or useful; if not, I put it in the "stuff" pile.

Challenged by my boyfriend, Greg, I've been very conscious of how I am furnishing my new place. As a local business owner, he has made me very aware of supporting the local economy. I've soured all of the window treatments for my new apartment from a consignment shop for $21. Some of my rugs are consignment purchases, but I will admit to shopping at a big box store for some items. I'm trying...

My new place certainly feels like home. I love it here. I'm situated in a quite neighborhood with a sun room that looks into a verdant backyard with a red barn. Summer flowers dot the garden and tree frogs chirp in the evenings. My kitchen table is located in the sun room and when it is not serving as a table, it makes a fine work area. My goal was not to have an office as I don't really want office clutter around; I have that at work.

My oven is an antique and I'm still learning the ins and outs of cooking with an oven that has a manual thermometer. There are no bells to tell me the oven is preheated and I actually have to ignite the oven with a match before I use it. Old, but I love it!

It feels good to be home.


No comments: