Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Moving time

It feels like 107 here today. That is not hyperbole, that is what the news says. It also feels like 107 inside my apartment because today seemed like a good day to clean my oven. For about the past four hours, it has been baking its insides at ungodly temperatures. I closed my kitchen door and try not to go into the kitchen much. I also forked over $55 to have my carpet cleaned today in preparation for my move on Monday. The good news is that the rest of my apartment in hardwood laminate flooring. The bad news is that everything that was in my bedroom is now in my living room. I really don't have much space: the bed is propped up against the wall, boxes are thrown on top of one another, some half open, some closed, some I'm not sure what they are doing. It is very hard to live in an apartment, pack an apartment and clean an apartment all at the same time.

My lease is up tomorrow. My new lease begins on August 1. You do the math. Renting in River City really stinks sometimes. But, this is par. Most places make you vacate on the 28th so they can clean, paint and prepare for the next tenants to move in. Fortunately, the person moving into my unit won't move in until mid-August and my landlord was gracious enough to let me stay until August 1. On the other end, the unit I am moving into won't be available until August 1. I don't have to move my stuff into storage or anything, but this is still logistically challenging to live and pack and clean at the same time.

Usually, I rely on the kindness of my dear friends to help me move. Considering that this move is going to be more difficult (small window of time, awkward furniture, second story up switchback stairs) I decided to hire movers. I pray they show up and do their job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so how did the move go?

Unknown said...

How did the move go?