
I would consider today the first day of vacation, although one could argue that vacation began yesterday. I found a delightful Italian place last night. Sarah, Katherine and I ate dinner on the patio. Islands of wildflowers planted in the patio and a fountain trickled in the background. Somehow all of this transported us to a place we agreed was not IC. We didn't really know where we felt we were, but Iowa felt like a distant place. That is until...
We went to the Johnson County Fair. Which, also happens to be the first fair I've ever attended. Regrettably, I do not have pictures available to post at this time, but know that I will post pictures of the "bobcat" aka "skid" rodeo and the 150 year recap of Johnson County veteran history recounted by a man on horseback with a microphone. Highlights of the experience included the goats with the floppy ears, the black sheep that baaaaaed at me and the chunky bunnies.
The fireworks were like no other. Literally, like no other. We witnessed approximately four mushroom cloud explosions (never what you want to see at a fireworks show) and approximately two grand finales. We thought the show ended approximately three times. Those wily organizers kept us guessing.
Today I drove to Missouri to stay with my sister. The drive was uneventful and the Iowa was summertime-gorgeous with wildflowers carpeting the ditches. The corn rows snaked up and down the hills and the bean fields are velvety green. I stopped in St. Charles to get some gas and discovered a covered bridge right of fthe highway. Having never been to the famed 'Bridges of Madison County,' I realized it might be a nice place to stop on one of my trips through. I took pictures, which again, I will post at a later date.
All is well in Missouri. Minsky's just opened in Annie's hometown. We tried to go, but the line looked formidable and our stomachs were impatient. We headed out for yummy sushi with one of Annie's friends instead. Tomorrow we take the dog to the doggy-sitter and leave in the evening. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that our airline doesn't go completely belly up and leave us dry.

No comments:
Post a Comment