Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Midsummer Night's Night

In high school, I never understood Shakespeare. Yes, I learned the difference between a comedy and tragedy. I was able to follow the plot of Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet. The soothsayer's role mildly interested me. But, I never really "got it" and would consider myself among the majority of 16 year-olds questioning the necessity of Shakespeare in the English curriculum. Well, 16 years later, I'm eager to report, I GET IT NOW!

This week was the final week of the Shakespeare Festival in town. While not the Globe, the open-air theater was constructed along the river to look somewhat like it and updated with modern amenities like comfy seating. Friday night, I attended a production of Richard III with a friend. Not knowing if I would "get it" or if I would even enjoy it, I was hesitant to hand over $17 for a student ticket. But I did. Before the show, a group of student actors put on a "Green Show" that provided a humorous, all modern English, synopsis of play.

As the play started, "Now is the winter of our discontent..." I settled in to let the actors do the work for me, and they obliged. With excellent projection, diction and acting, I was able to not only follow the plot, but to appreciate the entire experience. My English teacher would be so proud of me as I began to acknowledge Shakespeare's mastery of language, humor and poetic dialogue. The language came to life and I didn't want the play to die. For the first time, I could understand some people's obsession with Shakespeare.

Wanting more, I went back last night by myself (although ended up setting next to an acquaintance anyway- such is IC) to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream." I missed the Green Show for this one, but that didn't matter. Again, the actors deftly performed their work, and I could sit back, smile and laugh and the timeless humor.

1 comment:

Aaron Sefton said...

Well said, Karoline!

I don't think Shakespeare intended for his plays to be read in English classes. His plays were meant to be performed and possibly read after observing the performance to catch further subtleties and marvel at his use of language. At 16, its hard to have the wisdom to know when something is really good for you.