Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The New Dentist and The Old Dentist

I met my new dentist yesterday. She was nice and complemented my teeth. I think she is competent and a good dentist. But when I left the office and walked to my car a deep sadness sunk in. I didn't realize how attached I was to my old dentist. He knew who I was, we had an ongoing conversation about education that would pick up right where it left off six months prior. His receptionist once called to remind me about my appointment and then remind me bring my pictures of Africa in so everyone could see them. He did the dental equivalency of the peace corp after dental school. A proud pop, he would show me pictures of his son. We would talk about how one's general health is reflected in their oral hygiene. He would always apologize if he thought something might hurt. He always hummed along to the easy listening music piped in over the speakers. He would let me pick my toothbrush color and wasn't chintzy with the free toothpaste. He would always give me hugs at the end of my visit.

My new dentist is fine, but she is not my old dentist.

No comments: