For one of my projects this semester, I will be examining a test of international science comparisons. I selected the TIMSS (Third International Math and Science Study.) This test is primarily used at the fourth and eighth grade level to measure science and math "content and cognitive skills." Today, I opened the technical manual and started chuckling as one of my curiosities regarding international comparisons was answered. See, I was always perplexed as to why Latvia was always at the top of the list. Really? Latvia "beat" us? But really, there are only 36 countries that participated at the fourth grade level, and 48 at the 8th grade level. I am including a link. Take a look as to who is on it and who is not on it.
1. Hong Kong is a "Special Administrative Region" of the People's Republic of China
2. "Chinese Taipei" (From here on out will be refered to as Taiwan) is on the list
This leads me to wonder where the mainland is on the list. If countries are allowed to just select islands for testing...then I select Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket.
3. The country of "Russian Federation" made the list.
4. I see only one South American country.
5. Where is India? Pakistan? Canada? Mexico?
And as for Latvia...footnote #2 says their National Target Population does "not include all of the International Target Population defined" by TIMSS.
I find this stuff so fascinating.

No comments:
Post a Comment