I was mouthed off to by a 12 year old on my way to the bus stop today after tutoring. He had tenacity (audacity) like no other:
Where do you go to school?
Where do you go to school?
Northwest. How old are you?
I knew he was lying already.
In my teacher joking voice, Don't you know it is not polite to ask a woman her age?
I know and that is why I'm asking you!
I ignore him and just try to walk faster. Are you 32?
Again in my teacher jokey voice wondering if this kid is for real. You think I'm thirty two?
31?
You think I'm thirty one? Surely he will leave.
Why are you walking?
Why are YOU walking? Where is your car?
We pawned it for some money to buy stuff at HyVee.
Ok. Sure.
How many grandkids do you have?
At this point he is keeping up with my brisk pace. I couldn't out walk the annoying gnat.
52. How many kids do you have?
I have so many I can't keep track of them. I can't support them.
You are an amazing storyteller. Have you ever thought about becoming a novelist?
For a moment, he smiled and wanted to accept the complement, but didn't...
...I have so many kids all over the place, I've been busy.
Should you be having this conversation with a stranger?
Hey, I could just say you were walking with me and I could start yelling that you are a rapist!
The teacher reflexes override and the meanest teacher voice I have snarls:
KNOCK IT OFF! YOU ARE INAPPROPRIATE, YOU KNOW IT AND YOU NEED TO STOP NOW.
He wasn't expecting a teacher admonition and cowered. He knew he was out of line and wasn't expecting me to call him on it.
He then left the bus stop with his friend saying I don't like her attitude.
I smiled at them as they looked back before they walked away...
Ah middle school.....what a crappy age to be.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I guess I didn't realize that there were different teacher "voices." Do I have different doctor "voices?" I certainly have my standard speeches about loosing weight, quitting smoking and such, but do they come with different voices?
Post a Comment