Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Discomfort of Stuff

You've heard that for every gray hair you pluck, two grow in it's place. Or maybe that for every weed you pull two more grow in the garden. I think that same phenomenon applies to stuff. My stuff seems to multiply. The more I throw away, the more I shred, the more I donate to the ARC, the more stuff just appears in my apartment. It is as if it just bubbles up from under the counters, grows in file folders and sprouts from under furniture. I'm overwhelmed with the weeding of junk from my apartment. I've never thought I had much stuff. Relatively speaking, I still don't think I have an unusual amount of stuff but I guess I feel like I have a lot of stuff. For me, the feeling of having a lot of stuff is an uncomfortable feeling.

This "stuff discomfort" has haunted me all day. I stopped by Michael's this afternoon to see if they had newsprint for packing. As I walked through the store, I noticed fortresses of boxes all over ready to be unpacked. All evidence a new shipment had just arrived. At the end of one aisle a clerk was hanging the new products on display. Any guesses? HALLOWEEN. Folks, it is July 29. It isn't even August! It isn't even September! A bit further down the aisle, one could purchase turkey votive holders. I gawked at them in order to deal with the discomfort of excessive stuff. Besides, preemptive holiday sales should just be banned! Expediting the arrival of the holidays with knickknacks saddens me. Let me savor this season while I have it. Let my summer linger longer. Never have I written a strongly worded letter to any company, but somehow brass cornucopias displayed in July may just be the impetus I need to do so.




No comments: