Monday, July 28, 2008

Looking for Favorites

Last night I stayed up way too late. But somehow I always justify staying up past my bedtime. Last night I justified it by telling myself that I was in the middle of something very important and I just couldn't stop and finish it later. What was this important task? Selecting my "Favorite Pictures Ever" and putting them into a file on my desktop. I've always wanted to do this, create a "best of the best" folder.

I'm glad I did this too. It gave me time to reflect and realize that I've been very fortunate in my life and I've had some amazing friends and experiences here in Denver. When I was driving over Monach Pass yesterday I was looking over the vast valleys up to the pointy pinnacles thinking I must be crazy to leave this state! It is so beautiful! Why am I not just moving to the Western Slope? Why not go to grad. school in Colorado? Why? Because I'm also excited about moving to Iowa. The beauty might not be as conspicuous as 14ers, but there is beauty there too. "This is My Song" lyrics capture this sentiment for me.

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean, And sunlight beams on clover-leaf and pine. But other lands have sunlight too and clover, And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.

I'm sure I will have days that I wonder, what the heck did I just do? But I can look back upon my folder and be appreciative of what I had in Denver, yet continue to scout for more pictures and experiences to put into my favorites folder. Pictures I wouldn't have unless I moved.



A selection from the favorites folder: Grand Lake 2007

No comments: