No, I'm not ready at all for the semester to start. Tuesday is the first day of classes and it just dawned on me today that I'm going to have to be a student again. Okay, I know I'm a student, but some of the student responsibilities always sneak up on me. For instance, I was looking at my shelf at work and realized I do not have any notebooks or binders for classes this semester. It just completely slipped my mind.
Studying continues to go well, I try to do a little each day. Recalling and relearning 7 or so classes of work is hard. I was going to say that it is challenging, but I don't think that is descriptive enough. Honestly, it is just really hard. So far, when talking to professors about comprehensive exams, their suggestions and advice have spanned from delusional to zen-like in how to prepare for comps. I'm trying to stick with the zen-like approach as much as possible. The best thing to do is to remain calm and remember this is all a process. It is a process. A long, arduous process.
For those interested, it goes something like this.
February 10: Three hours worth of exams (1 hour for each class-- three stats classes)
February 11: Three hours worth of exams (1 hour for each class-- four measurement classes)
February 11: I finish my exam and then receive a take-home exam (10 page paper-- one week to complete)
February 18: Turn in take-home exam
Some time after February 18, schedule a two-hour block that is somehow convenient for 5 very busy professors and myself so we can sit down and discuss all of the mistakes from my exams... no pressure.
In the mean time, I'm still a student taking 10 credits this semester and I will still be responsible for all papers, projects and tests while I am studying for comps. Sigh.
I will be a zen master once this semester is over.
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment