Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Early in the moring

It is not often that I wake up before dawn and have to consistently deny the urge to get out of bed and start typing. But, the inexplicable urge hit strong this morning.

Sometimes you cross a bridge and only in retrospect do you realize, “Wow, I just crossed that bridge.” That happened yesterday in a conversation with a professor. I needed to talk with her about my future plans. I’d felt myself becoming disconnected and listing a bit. That has been on my mind a lot lately. Questions of what am I doing here? Is this the best use of my time? And, is this really helping me? What is it that I really want to be doing? Should I just get my masters and move on?

In her cut to the chase manner she asked, Geography. Where do you want to go?

I’ve been practicing this response over and over several times, not too much out loud, but in my mind, for certain.

Iowa. I think I would like to stay in Iowa City, or there are a few other cities in Iowa I would consider, but I think I would like to stay in Iowa.

I feared her judgment. Who really wants to stay in Iowa?

My fears were allayed when she bypassed her usually disapprovals and went straight to, This is what you have to do...

She gave honest advice that was difficult to hear, but at least it was real advice.

No comments: