Wednesday, January 13, 2010

poker face

This was an actual conversation in the office today.

[mumble mumble] ...GRE scores

(Somehow I knew this was personal, not an academic conversation)

person 1: yeah, my quantitative scores got me into this program

person 2: me too, my verbal scores were horrible

person 3: [from across the office] What were your GRE scores?

Seriously, was that just ask?! Surly, they are not going to answer.

person 1: 720

person 3: yeah, I scored in the 700s

person 2: 710

Seriously, they answered. I remained silent.

person 1: my verbal scores were like 400

[They all confirm the perceived inadequacy of their verbal scores]

person 3: that is why the program didn't look at me strangely when I came here with such low verbal scores, everyone else is in the same situation

person 2: well, everyone but Karoline probably

Was that meant as an insult?

[ I poked my head around the corner]

person 2: I have a feeling you did really well in verbal and that with your high score in quantitative, you probably scored really well.

[I smiled and nodded wondering if I should show my cards...No, no need to flash them my hand I thought]

me: oh you know... got lost in a smile

No comments: