I don't know if I will stay in Iowa when I am done here. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. In Iowa's favor, I have a running list of "Things I Will Miss If I Leave Iowa."
Here are a few items from that list:
The Tuscan Tomato Soup from Bread Garden: One of my favorite simple meals to grab when I want something light and delicious.
The Bread Garden: Market, salad bar, wine, beer, coffee, desserts, outdoor seating when the weather is nice, naturally lit eating otherwise. All this conveniently located 5 minutes from my building.
Bacon Wrapped Dates at Devotay: Need I say more? A glass of red wine and some of these savory tapas are really worth a trip to Iowa City, friends.
The sight of the sunset striking the old capitol and the hillside of buildings late on a winter's afternoon.
Bald eagles that winter along the river.
The whistle at the power plant that sounds at 8,12,1 and 5. I LOVE this whistle and watching the steam billow out. I try to match my pitch to the whistle and then reach the higher note as the steam rises above the roof of the brick building along the river. I time my walk in the morning to the sound of it. If I am anywhere past the law building when the whistle sounds, I know I am ahead of time. It also marks the lunch hour and reminds me of the Flintstones when it sounds at 5. I imagine Fred hopping of the dinosaur and sliding down its tail as he celebrates the end of a work day. It seems like whistles are endemic only to more rural communities and I will seriously miss this whistle if I leave.
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
i loved the whistle growing up--if i remember right, it was at noon and six each day. i'll check when i go home to SD at christmas. oh, and i will be in des moines for a brief weekend for a friend's wedding reception jan 1st-3rd, but i don't think i will have time to get to iowa city, too :( if you are in des moines tho lemme know!!
Post a Comment