One takes many knocks in grad school. So when you have a day in which no knocks are received, it turns out to be a REALLY GOOD DAY! That was today. I presented my research poster at a state conference in Ames. It was so good to dress up (not that I'm a slob otherwise, but it has been awhile since I've worn anything that requires dry cleaning) and feel competent about my work. As expected, teachers, principals and district leaders were interested in my research and wanted to talk about writing instruction and student performance. The best part, was that I could speak the language of both assessment and learning. I could talk about assessment, the purpose, the process, the results, and, I could talk instruction, student characteristics, methods and strategies. One teacher described difficulties with one method of instruction, I was able to make other suggestions. I was back in my element and it was so good.
I've become so used to feeling like the student, and that I don't know anything. So when I have a day in which I get to have substantive converstations and interact with other professionals, I truly enjoy it...even if it is just for one day.
Friday, December 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
After feeling very defeated by a final, it's good to know that all grad students essentially feel like they never know anything (I guess that's what "learning" is). Congrats on your presentation.
Post a Comment