Monday, August 24, 2009

Live Cubed

With the new year comes a new office. I've relocated to a new office just across the hall from my old office. And unofficially, I've maintained some residency in my old office. It provids ample workspace and banks of windows for when I need to get away from my new office. My old office is now referred to as my vacation office. My new office looks like an traditional office; complete with Herman Miller chairs, cubicles and beige carpeting. Although, I am fairly certain the cubicle architects who designed our office did not take feng shui principles into account. I think it only bothers me and another woman from Taiwan.

This is the first time I've moved into a cubicle and I'm not sure how I feel about this. When I was a classroom teacher, I used to believe that a bad day in the classroom was better that a good day in an office. And now, here I am, reporting daily to something that looks like a Dilbert cartoon. One office mate talks about cheese curds in Michigan, another is discussing statistical software packages. At some points, I even feel like I am on "The Office" staring blankly out of my cubicle at another unadorned cubicle wall. It's like when you are camping and you watch torrents of rain outside your tent door and you think it's yucky out there. That is what I feel like staring out of my cubicle, just watching time pass and why I keep my "vacation office."

So why am I not teaching if I still stand by my statement regarding classrooms and offices? Because, I really like my work.

No comments: