Monday, May 4, 2009

Celebrated

Feeling really guilty about checking out a reserve book and not returning it for over two weeks (I was only suppose to have it for two hours) I decided I needed to take full ownership for my irresponsibility and return the book. Doughnuts, mini-eclairs, cream-puffs and a vase of daffodils and irises were carefully arranged on a table in our department library this morning. Wondering what the spread was about, I cheerfully asked our librarian:

What is the special occasion?

Smiling Did you not read your e-mail?

No, I have not checked it yet this morning.

Well, its to celebrate our poet-in-residence and the new display honoring the libraries namesake.

At this point she walked over to a shelf where she a framed copy of my poem on display. Right then, another co-worker walks in and asks

Who is the poet?!

I was floored.

She was followed by her coterie colleagues. All came in, grabbed a doughnut (fresh from the Amish Bakery!-YUM) and congratulated me once they (and I!) realized I was the celebrated poet. All morning long, I kept receiving congratulations. I'm not used to such attention, and to be honest, it was a bit uncomfortable. (My office-mates said they would help me overcome this discomfort by complementing mwe excessively until I become desensitized to the attention.)

But what a wonderful way to start a week! I was so touched by our librarians thoughtfulness. And in addition to being published on a bus, I am also published in our little library.

2 comments:

April said...

So what happened with the book? Did you get forgiveness since you are the poet-in-residence?

Karoline said...

She just swatted the air and said, "whatever!"