For the past two days I've witnessed a natural phenomenon I have never witnessed before. As I walk up river on my way to work, I get to put my science skills to use and surmise what is happening upstream by what flows before my eyes. Yesterday, I saw what can only be described as a snowball skipping upstream on water. I'm serious. It totally caught my eye and I watched more closely. Sure enough, it happened again. Mini icebergs were floating downstream and chunks of it were breaking off and literally tumbling on water upstream! I realized that the wind was blowing it somehow, but how could ice tumble like that? As I walked further upstream by the dam, I noticed the foam from the water, churned by the dam, was freezing into big puffs of bubbly ice. They floated down stream, not as solid icebergs, but as frozen bubbles. When the wind picked up, balls of frozen bubbles rolled upon the water. It was really amazing to watch!
And now I step back and think, Really? Am I really blogging about frozen bubbles? Is life that boring in Iowa? Truthfully, I don't think it is boring. I mean, really, have you ever seen frozen bubbles bounce upstream? I don't have the mountains, but I have opportunity to see things I could never imagine and take the time to appreciate them.
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment