Today was a lucky day for two of my friends, one got a paper accepted to a journal, the other passed her comps. I couldn't help thinking that I wish something "lucky" would happen to me. Receiving communication from an internship to which I applied would be nice. Reading positive feedback on my paper would suffice. Really, I'm not picky.
Then on the bus ride home, my wishes were jolted back into perspective as I spoke with a man on the bus. I sat in the one remaining seat and we chit chatted about the weather. I could tell he is not the usual ridership that takes the bus to the predominantly student neighborhoods. Names were not shared, but his story was. The weather was causing literal pains in his neck from an old injury. With candor, he narrated the "the runaround" he had received from the VA here. I told him I'm sorry he felt he was getting the runaround. And then he told me he tried to OD on oxycontin last week because he wanted to die but "woke up at four in the morning still alive." You never really know what is going on in other peoples' lives.
The VA no longer supplies him with oxycontin.
I suppose just being alive is lucky.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you for sharing that story. I can't help but thinking that this man is going to have a hard time from here on out. Not only do people often look at you and your situation differently after attempting suicide, but he will have a hard time finding treatment for his pain. There are not many pain medications that many physicians would feel comfortable prescribing to someone that attempted to overdose on one of them.
Post a Comment