Friday, January 16, 2009

Letting Winter Do Its Thing

There are two disparate populations in Iowa; those who embrace winter and those who curse it. I choose to let the drifts ensconce my car, I warm my spirits with tea and my core with long underwear. Perhaps, if I were a parent in Iowa City, I might feel different about the weather we've been having. This is now the third day students were directed to stay home due to the below freezing temperatures.

Although parts of Iowa have experienced record breaking low temperatures in the last few days, I do not get too excited about the extreme temperatures, after all, there is at least one state north of here and entire country North of that. The temperatures we experience might be very cold for us, but there are others for whom this is just normal. They probably go to school despite the subfreezing weather. I'll have to ask my friend from northern Minnesota about my conjecture.

It is beautiful though. I haven't seen snow this memorable since New Jersey. The surface snow sparkled like diamonds, splitting the light into emeralds, rubies and sapphires. The snow here, too, is colorful. Tiny crystals flutter through the sunny air. It is not snowing, but snowflakes fly around like eagles in thermals. They catch a breeze and just hang on for a ride. It looks like a child's glittered art project. How can one possibly curse that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can one curse that? Easily - with curse words! Like the ones I use when I'm shoveling out my driveway and what feels like about five miles of sidewalk and the snot is freezing in my nostrils.

But I have to admit, it IS kinda pretty.

-brian