Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Whatever gets you through

My motivation in one particular class has been flagging. I’m not convinced that the professor actually reads our papers and I’m somewhat indifferent about any feedback he would provide anyway. A ten page paper was due yesterday. I pulled off an amazing feat: I wrote the paper in about 48 hours. Not wanting to spend any more time on it than was absolutely necessary, I made myself feel the pressure of completion. Maybe this is just a testament to my growth, but it didn’t really stress me out. Two year ago? Yes, I would have been a mess.

That isn’t to say that it was an easy paper to write. It wasn’t. Actually, it was excruciating considering the circumstances (prof, topic, motivation, etc.) But, I found something to help me through: The Decorah Eagles.

You probably heard about them. It seems anyone with an internet connection knows about them. For those not in the know, it is a web camera located in an eagles' nest. When I first started watching, I totally felt like I was violating their privacy. I soon overcame that feeling and started to appreciate this avian family. They helped me through the day. I keep one window open on my computer desktop so I can watch the eagles, the other window was open to the document I am working on. When I get bored or need a distraction, I watch the birds for a while, then I go back to work. It is the perfect study break. Yesterday, I got to watch the mama feed the little ones. Today, I’ve marveled at how the eagle sits so patiently on the young to keep them warm and protected.

Everyone has a trick to help them through their dissertation; I think one of mine is the Decorah Eagles.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

No comments: