Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Candidate

Having passed comps, I am now officially a "Ph.D. Candidate" whereas before, I was merely a "Ph.D. Student." Accordingly, I have changed my e-mail signature line to reflect the "promotion."

I'm also doing it because, well, I'm going on the market soon. Within six to eight months, I will begin an active job search. Tossing around the words "ABD" (all but dissertation) or "just passed my comps" or "candidate" are ways to drop hints. Surprisingly, people pick it up, as I learned last week at a conference. Some asked me what kind of work I am interested in doing. When will I start looking for a job. What my dissertation topic will be. One person apprised me of a job that was opening with Organization A within the year; another sent me info about jobs at Company B. A researcher from Organization C just wrote to ask for a paper I wrote for the conference.

So, anyway. I suppose I am sitting up straighter, smiling a bit wider, and making more confident eye contact these days. It seems that anyone could be an employer.

No comments: