One thing I love about being a poor grad student in a college town is that several of my friends are also poor grad students as well. We all experience similar frustrations; no money, heavy work loads, dirty dishes, trying our best to eat well, living in dumpy apartments, experiencing one disappointment after another and somehow just trying to stay sane. We don't have a lot of money and so we become pretty creative. We consign clothes, diligently return cans for the deposits, share groceries, collect coupons, look for sales, walk and bus so as not to put miles on our cars.
When I first moved to town, I met a friend who was willing to barter with me: food for babysitting. She prepared and froze meals for me-- I played with her child. There was no need for money. It worked well for both of us. Recently, she asked me to watch her son again while she and her husband went out. Upon return, she offered the following for payment: cash or their canoe.
I am now the proud owner of a fiberglass canoe. For all intents and purposes (registration) it is handmade. I can't tell you much more than it is a seaworthy green fiberglass canoe, approx 15 feet long with newly caned seats. When I asked why they wanted to part with it, they said because the canoe had trouble steering. They must have seen the look of confusion on my face and so continued to clarify that the canoe had trouble steering ...with two people...with alpha personalities. Enough said.
Storage? I can just keep it on top of my car, right? Year-round?
Generously, I've had offers of storage space that I might take advantage of. Of course, we've had unseasonably warm weather yesterday and today that would be perfect for testing the boat. However, the temps are going to turn and we will probably see our first snow in the next week. But when winter is over... I'm going to have a boat waiting for me!
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like next adventure may have to be a canoe/camping outing! How fun!
Yeah, I'm pretty excited!
Post a Comment