I could just update you on the past month, but at this point, that seems like a daunting task. There was my birthday, which was magical. I don't use that word lightly. Surrounded by six wonderful friends, I got to eat bacon wrapped dates, drink sangria and enjoy the laughter, smiles and witty banter. It was a wonderful birthday.
The garden is growing. The calories I have put in far exceed the calories I have consumed, but I love the garden anyway. The tomatoes are looking good at least and I will have some kale this week. There is one zucchini growing, but it's puny and would make a better compost than zucchini bread. Garden gnomes have populated the garden and work diligently at being cute, they don't do much weeding though.
I'm almost done with work for the summer and am looking forward to a break. I was told today that if I want to work more now, I could take the time off next semester. No, thank you. I know we will be just as busy next semester and it will be difficult to take off as is.
Iowa is beautiful. Simply beautiful. It is no Rocky Mountain vista, but Iowa offers unparalleled emerald greens, dusty white roads edged with milkweeds, tempered pinks, and clouds seemingly taller than any mountain range I've known. The founder of the Denver Post was quoted as saying "'Tis a privilege to live in Colorado." But here, the fireflies beacon in the night, the daylight stretches for longer than I am awake, and I can't help buying more Muscatine melon than I really need-- I actually think it is a privilege to live in Iowa.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love it that you love Iowa. You can see beauty that some overlook easily.
Post a Comment