Why is it now a novelty, a Ripley's Believe It or Not- type phenomenon, to know people who have grown up and lived and died all in the same town; all in the same place. I've met people who departed this world less than five miles from where they first entered this life. People who wouldn't have wanted it any other way. As a wanderer and a person with more residences in my life than I care to count, I am fascinated by people who stay put. I don't think I was meant to say put. I think I was meant to live in all of my residencies, I wouldn't have been satisfied residing in Kansas after college; I needed to explore. Wanderlust is a weakess and a strength.
And now my exploring has brought be back, here, about an hour from where I was born. And all I can think sometimes is how lucky I am. How lucky that I get to come back here. I get to experience the same dusk that I experienced as a child. The light that gently stretches in my room at 8:00 is the same tone, density and feel as I recall it being 25 years ago. This is satisfaction.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment