I'm trying to declutter my life. Not in a physical sense necessarily, but in a time management sense. I've gotten to a point that EVERYTHING feels like a priority and I realize that EVERYTHING is not a priority. It is always so much easier selecting things to become priorities rather than eliminating things that are not. Quakers call the process "Laying it down." I realize there are things I need to "lay down" but it is not easy. And, once I have decided to remove something from my priority list, it is difficult to keep it off the list. For instance, I have decided that outings with the department, while fun and a good way to keep in the loop, do not necessarily meet my social needs. So, I am limiting my intake of social gatherings and focusing more on the friendships in my life that do provide what I need.
I was planning on a spring break trip to Colorado. However, I am now reconsidering. Not that I don't want to go, I just need some time to myself to recoup over break. The thought actually crossed my mind today to just find an oceanfront condo somewhere, where no one knows where I am, and just stare, stare into the horizon. I don't care if it rains everyday. That is not the point. Then again, there are some beautiful places in Iowa I wouldn't mind exploring as well.
I took tutoring off the list this semester. Well, until today when to women came to the office seeking tutors. Without recalling my personal priority list, I said I would tutor them. I forced them to work within my time frame, I wasn't as accommodating as I usually am, so I suppose that counts for something, right?
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
There are always too many things on my list too. I have found (however pathological) that when I try to pare down, I often miss the craziness. I guess I have built some of my self perception on always being involved in several things. When I am intentional about focusing on only those things that are most important, I have a hard time adjusting my mind to realize that this too is good and that I can be a good person without being involved in everything. I admire you for your diligence. We would love to see you in GJ, but more than anything, we want you to have the time and space you need. If not in GJ this spring, then we will see you somewhere sometime and it will be lovely.
Post a Comment