Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tornado Season

My sister reminded me that when I was in Denver I always longed for Midwestern storms. And I admit, I missed the hearty storms that rumbled for hours on end. It was something I anticipated as I moved back to Iowa.

Midwesterners are unique when it comes to storms. When I lived in New Jersey, people would ask about Kansas tornadoes. I'd entertain them with stories of how Manhattanites would go outside to watch the storm approach- maybe with a beer in hand. We always figured we had fair warning if we needed to run inside. By fair warning, I mean actual spotting, not the warning siren.

That is why I wasn't really surprised when the following events happened at my softball double-header this evening. Prior to gametime, we all were watching the radar on one woman's cell phone (technology is amazing) and wondering if we could at least play the first game. We analyzed cloud patterns like true armchair meterologists, watching the clouds twirl and wring any daylight out of the sky.

As the home team took the field and our first batter stepped to the plate, the sirens started. Now, this... this is what I always find fascinating. Everyone looked around as if someone would direct us how to procede. Several players wanted to...play on! (Afterall, we don't SEE a tornado!) Some were understandably (I included) reluctant to play with sirens sounding. The ump was going to have none of it and called the game. The first group of players tried to coax the ump to continue the game. The official for the league ran over and called the game OFFICIALLY. Game over.

Once the sirens subsided, an unusual tune blaired through the air. The ice cream truck was trying to drum up business in the parking lot. "Its a Small World" whined from the speakers. Really? What kind of icecream truck sells popsicles during a tornado warning? But, no tornado was spotted so... why not try to sell an icecream sandwhich or two?

Once I got home, I prepared myself and my apartment for bad weather; charged my cell phone, got out my emergency kit (lovingly given to me for Christmas from my sister,) took the emergency radio and flashlight out of their packaging and learned how to use them. I logged onto my computer and started streaming local weather. The clouds were unmistakeable- with talons and claws that reminded me of Chinese dragons. Except, these figures were not auspicious.

The severest of weather was shy of here and now we are just (just?) under a flash flood warning. Tis the season.

No comments: