Saturday, September 18, 2010

Train Brain

I don't speak much of my "train brain," but it is still present. I've experienced it for 5.5 months now. The feeling that I am barreling through life in train or in a bobbing boat accompanies me all the time. I never get respite and if I do, it is literally for a few seconds to a few minutes. I've started to get very frustrated and angry about it. Train brain (as I now refer to it) is something I could do without. Granted, it could be worse, but this is not fun. If the symptoms do not subside in the next few weeks, I return to the ENT for a conversation in which we talk about putting me on serious drugs. I don't like drugs. I don't have Tylenol/ Advil/ (I might have some expired Alieve) in the house and only take allergy meds when it is downright necessary. So, the thought of being put on drugs is of concern to me.

With the appointment date fast approaching, I'm doing everything I can to get better. Stress is one factor I've noticed that aggravates my condition. As a grad student, you can imagine this is a wee bit inconvenient. However, I'm doing what is in my control to help reduce my stress (which incidentally means I have to release control of somethings... go figure.) So I'm working on healing myself and trying to make this situation better. Such measures include; moving slowly and deliberately, breathing deeply, sometimes sitting still for 15 minutes and not thinking or doing ANYTHING, and receiving massage therapy weekly. My symptoms are reduced, but I'm not back to normal yet. The train is slowing, but it is not in the station.

No comments: