Saturday, June 5, 2010

Malicious Puncture

I was on my way to yoga class this morning. Really, it was a rainy Saturday morning, the kind made for sleeping in. Yet, I hoisted myself out of bed at 7:40 to get to an 8:00 yoga class. On my way to the car, I noticed a flat tire-- and then another. I was not going to make it to yoga.

Thank goodness for AAA; they are always so good in these situations. They sent a tow truck because I don't have two spare tires, as the tow truck dispatcher pointed out. I towed the car less than a mile to my usual mechanic. Attempting to put just a bit of air in the tires so that it could be driven into the garage was futile, "Your tires are slashed" said the well inked mechanic.

After purchasing two new shoes for my car, I called for a police report. The officer arrived at the garage, looked at my tires and questioned me with a straight face, "Who doesn't like you?" ***

It was an interesting morning to say the least--conversations with the officer, the landlord, the mechanic, the lieutenant, AAA... But in the midst of what could be considered a somewhat scary and depressing morning, I was constantly reminded of the goodness in people. Everyone I dealt with this morning was so professional and easy to work with; the AAA guy who just wanted to make sure I was first safe, the tow truck guy who helped me out of my car, the mechanic who checked over the rest of my car to make sure it was sound, the PD who took time to listen, friends who just listened to stories about my weird morning which in no way resembled a yoga class... Even though I couldn't make it to yoga, I did pay attention to the yin and yang of a bad situation. I sometimes forget how compassionate people really are, until I am forced to deal with how hurtful some can be.


*** If you want that part of the story, you have to get it from me personally.

2 comments:

stay-at-homework said...

I so want to hear the rest of the story now! Glad you came out okay :)

Greg said...

Malicious Puncture is ALSO available as a roller derby name.